Saturday, April 8, 2017

Cherry Blossom Time in D.C.

April 12, 2014

When I scheduled the date for my cochlear implant surgery, I wasn't trying to coincide with the Cherry Blossom Festival in Washington, D.C., but our timing couldn't have been better.  We arrived right when the blossoms were at their peak.

April 12, 2014

This year's display was not as brilliant as ones we've seen in the past.  The cold spell of March 2017 wrecked havoc with that.

This plus the following photos are this year's blossoms.

Still, the pale pink and white blossoms herald the beginning of spring; their fragile beauty a reminder of the brevity of life.


Due to my recuperation, we were unable to join the thousands who trekked to the Tidal Basin to view the trees, gifts from Japan in 1912.  Instead, we enjoyed their cousins planted throughout Cherry Hill Campground where we stayed during this visit just as we did last November.

Billings Administration Building
Johns Hopkins Medical Center

We chose to return to Cherry Hill Campground even though my surgery was done at Johns Hopkins Medical Center in Baltimore.  For one, the distance between the two was only 30 miles.  For another, this gave us several prized chances to see our son who lives in D.C.  Richard is in the midst of a career change so we hoped to encourage him during this stressful time.  The only downside of our choice was waking early to be at JHMC's Outpatient Center by 5:30 a.m. the day of the surgery.



Despite the arrival of spring in our nation's capitol, the overnight temperatures this past week have not caught up.  They hovered in the upper 30s, making it easy to understand why the campground owners insulate and heat the water spigots at each campsite. 

Insulated water spigot with 110-volt bib heater

 That chore makes it possible for the campground to remain open year round.


Part of the recovery process from my surgery is to get up and walk as soon as possible.  That helps diminish the dizziness brought on by the drainage of fluid in the inner ear.  


It's difficult to do much walking inside an RV so with Tim's help, I navigated the roads within the campground and even ventured out to the nearby Paint Branch Trail.  At my post-operative appointment a week after the procedure, my surgeon was pleased with my recovery so far.

Now all I have to do is wait for the swelling to lessen over the next four weeks until the implant is finally turned on.  Hopefully, this implantation will be successful, making it possible for me to begin the task of learning to listen electronically with my right ear.  But I've done that before when I received my first implant in my left ten years ago.  Surely I can do it again!

6 comments:

  1. I'm familiar with Cochlear implants after work with DHOH for 7 years. I'm so excited for you and interested to know how the adjustment has been. I can't believe you all were here! Im enjoying your posts!
    Love ya, Yasmin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yas, I'm looking forward to seeing you on our return trip to D.C. It will be good to catch up with you.

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful place and time of year to recover in. The nurse in me is overjoyed to hear that you are up and walking! Yeah! Continued prayers for complete healing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You & Doug should seriously consider adding a spring trip to D.C. to a future itinerary of yours. It is a beautiful time of year to be there. I guess you are well aware of the benefits of walking during recovery time. Thanks for your good wishes!

      Delete
  3. I'm glad the surgery seemed to go well. Will be praying for all to go well these next 4 weeks and for the new implant to work well!

    ReplyDelete