Saturday, August 12, 2017

The Rocky Coast of Oregon


"The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock in whom I take refuge."  Psalm 18:2

That verse came to mind as I gazed at the rocky coast of Oregon.  The bluffs and sea stacks and boulders that rise from the Pacific Ocean here create a beautiful landscape that supports an abundant marine ecosystem.

Similarly, I thought about how God has upheld me over the course of my life.

Spouting Horn near Yachats, OR

There have been blow ups in marriage, 


twisted turns at work, 

Raucous sea lions on the dock in Newport, OR

mouthy children,

A solitary seal near Yaquina Head

loneliness and

Thor's Well near Yachats, OR

empty periods of depression 

Thor's Well

as well as times of fulfillment.


But through it all, God has given me refuge during times of struggle.  Psalm 46:1 reaffirms that "God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in times of trouble."


So to look back at my sometimes rocky journey clears away the fog.

A bridge built by the CCC in Florence, OR

It reminds me how God has built bridges for me to carry me through those times, 


even when I couldn't see the forest for the trees

Hobbit's Trail near Florence, OR

or the way through the brambles.

Hecata Head Lighthouse

Hecata Head Light

Yaquina Head Lighthouse

Looking at these lighthouses, I was reminded that "His Word is a lamp to my feet, a light on my path." (Psalm 119:105)



Like the tide that continuously breaks upon the rocky shore, He has reassured me repeatedly in the Bible, "Do not fear for I am with you!"


God knows my fears, even before I voice them.  He wants me to trust Him when life's storms assail me.  There's a sense of security when I pray and turn these cares over to Him.  Prayer drives away my fear, shifts my focus from the world's turmoil to God's character, and creates a quiet confidence that the Lord is in control.  I come away with a peace that only God, my rock, can provide.

"My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus' blood and righteousness;
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly lean on Jesus name.
On Christ the solid rock I stand;
All other ground is shifting sand.
All other ground is shifting sand."
~ a hymn by Edward Mote, 1797-1874

2 comments:

  1. What beautiful thoughts and photos, Cindy! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a beautiful place that I wish you and Randy could visit someday.

      Delete